This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. For more information, please read my disclaimer here.
It’s that time of year, and no winter season is complete without a pair of cozy mittens! These free printable mitten templates are a great way to spend some quality time with your kids and get them into the holiday spirit. They’re also great for even when the holidays are over and you feel like doing an easy craft with your kid!
It’s as easy as 1-2-3: Print out the PDF mitten template, then color, decorate, and cut out your own mittens.
Paper mittens are great for both kids and adults. There are two template options: a printout of one large mitten per page (with both hands included on separate pages) and a smaller set with both mittens on the same page.
Below, we’ll discuss some ideas for your mittens and how you and your kids’ can make them your own!
Other Printable Templates You May Like:
Reminders for Crafting with Kids
- Always supervise children when they are using scissors and help them as needed.
- If you are using the printable mitten template with very young children, you may want to pre-cut the mittens for them.
- Make sure to have plenty of extra materials on hand, in case someone makes a mistake or wants to start over.
- Have a first-aid kit handy in case of any accidents.
What You’ll Need
- Mitten template (download below)
- Paper (regular or cardstock)
- Ruler or pencil (optional)
- Colored pencils, markers, or crayons
- Glue (optional)
- Decorations (optional)
Here’s How It Works
- Download the mitten template of your choice from any of the links below.
- Print out the template on regular printer paper. If you want your mittens to be a little sturdier, print the cut out on cardstock.
- Color in or decorate the mittens however you like. You can use crayons, markers, paint, glitter, etc. Get creative!
- Cut out the pattern along the dotted lines. If you are using the large mitten template, cut out each mitten separately — no stacking!
- Now you’re ready to use your mittens! Let your kids hang them on the Christmas tree, string them up as garland, or use them as gift tags.
How to Make Your Mitten Template Unique
There are endless possibilities for how you can personalize your mitten template. We’ve already mentioned a few ideas and will discuss them further below, along with new recommendations!
Use different colors and patterns of paper.
Whether you’re using the large or small template, you can cut out one mitten and trace it onto a piece of patterned scrapbook paper or construction paper. Then, cut out the second mitten to match.
Decorate with embellishments.
After you’ve colored or painted your mittens, add some extra flair with glitter, buttons, yarn, fabric, ribbon, etc.
Make them 3D.
Turn your 2D mittens into 3D sculptures by folding them along the dotted lines and gluing or taping them together.
Add a name or message.
Use a permanent marker or paint to write a name, initial, or holiday message on the mittens. This is a great way to personalize them as gift tags. You can also glue an image or piece of paper with a message onto the mitten.
Turn them into puppets.
Cut small slits along the dotted lines of the large mitten template, and insert popsicle sticks or craft sticks. Then, decorate the mittens however you like. Now you can put on a puppet show!
Use your mittens as gift tags.
Use a hole punch to make a small hole at the top of the mitten, then thread some ribbon or twine through it to tie it onto a gift.
Enjoy Your Mittens!
And there you go! We hope you and your kids have fun making and using your paper mittens. If you have any other ideas for how to use them, be sure to share them with us in the comments below.
My mitten template isn’t printing correctly. What should I do?
Make sure that you are using the most up-to-date version of your PDF reader. You may also try to print another file to see if that prints correctly. If you continue to have problems, please contact us and we’ll be happy to help.
How do I resize the mitten template?
If you need to resize the mitten template, open the PDF file in a PDF reader and select “File,” then “Print.” From the print dialog box, select “Properties” and then choose the desired size from the “Scale” drop-down menu.
Can I use the mitten template for commercial purposes?
Yes, you can use our mitten template for commercial purposes. However, you may not sell the template itself or redistribute it without permission. If you’re unsure, please reach out and we can come to an agreement.
Do I need to give credit when using the mitten template?
No, you don’t need to give credit. However, we do appreciate it if you spread the word about our website or tag us in photos on social media!